Friday 9 May 2014

Sunshine Mandala


  ~Sunshine Mandala~

I wanted a slightly bigger Mandala so I decided to enlarge my first pattern, by adding a few more rows, and this was the happy result!  Here is the link to the pattern
which has rows 1 - 11, Row 12 follows below!



Notes:  

  • Use either chain stitches or standing dc/hdc/sc to start any row in this pattern or Maybelle Flower Pattern or any patterns that I may post in future. Sites showing how to make standing sts can be found on my previous post here
  • Descriptions of the Double 2dc cluster are also in my previous post for the Maybelle Flower Mandala.


Here are the additional rows:

Row 12:   Attach yarn in any sc stitch, with a chain 3 (or standing dc) into this stitch, make a Double 2dc cluster, ch 2,  sc into centre dc stitch of shell, ch 2, Double 2dc cluster into sc in between shells, chain 2. Proceed round circle in pattern and join to top of 3 ch (or top of standing dc) to finish the row. (16 Double 2dc clusters and 16 sc's)


Row 13:  Attach yarn in any 1ch space of a Double 2dc cluster and do 1sc, ch 4, 1 Fp sc around sc of previous row, ch 4, sc into 1ch space of cluster, ch 4.  Continue in pattern and join with a sl st into first sc to end row.


Row 14:  Attach yarn (or in the case of my example) sl st into any 4 ch space.  Ch 3 (or use standing dc), 3dc all into 4 ch space, 2 ch 4dc into next 4 ch space. Continue in pattern and close with a sl st into starting 3 ch (or top of standing dc)


Row 15: Attach yarn to top of first dc in any group of 4dc. Ch 3 (or standing dc), 1dc in next dc stitch, 2ch, 2 dc in each of next 2 dc sts, ch1.  Proceed in this way, you will see each group of 4 dcs from previous row will have 2 dc 'legs' 2ch and another 2dc 'legs' and each group separated by ch1. This is the foundation row for Row 16, which completes the Maybelle flower petals to mirror the petals in the centre flower.


Row 16:  Join yarn to any 1ch space (or keep the same colour yarn as I did) and make 1sc to start the row.  7 dc into 2 ch space, 1sc into 1ch space 7 dc into 2 ch space. Continue in pattern and finish with sl st into starting sc.


Row 17: Join yarn into any dc stitch, and sl st a border into each dc stitch around the petals, sl st into first sl st to end row.





ET VOILA!! 


I will be posting a photo 'how-to' shortly, just in case you find it easier, like I do .. to follow a pattern that way.

Exciting news has just been posted regarding Yarndale 2014 ... Lucy from Attic 24 has details on how to take part in this fab event;  also Zelna from Zooty Owl has exciting Yarndale news of her own .. be sure to take a peek at her Yarndale blog post!! 

I am excitedly setting about designing a new Mandala for my contribution; these wondrous wheels are sooo addictive, make one of the many patterns available, I bet you will have number two on your hook in no time!


Hugs 
Pat




13 comments:

  1. I came across your blog by googling for mandala patterns, it looks very cheerful, almost like a sun flower centre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fab Pat - and I especially love the darker row around the edge to give it definition. This is definitely in my 'want to make' queue - thanks again! Have a great weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing a photo :)
      Pat xx

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! Loving your Autumn Colours! I see a yarn order in my future ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are soo sunny, I am not too inclined towards these colours .... but I looove how they turned out, so glad I could help ..
      Pat xx

      Delete
  5. Some lovely Mandalas you have there...so addictive aren't they? X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo addictive Sue, I am dazzled by all your beautiful designs, got to try a few, I am keen to make cushions this winter (in SA)
    x Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love mandalas, and have even made a few, but I still can't figure out what you use them for except to stare at them because they are so beautiful.. They are too holey for a pot holder and it just seems a waste to use them for a dishcloth and get them all dirty. What do you use them for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such an african mandala and I love the colours you used, they really are very warm and summery. Another beautiful mandala Pat, well done! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannapat ... mandalas must be one of my most favourite items to make these days! Pat x

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment ~ hearing from you makes my day ~